Issued May 31, 1912
The Pope Manufacturing Company started making bicycles under the Columbia brand name in 1877. By 1896 it was the leading producer of bicycles in the US. In 1897 they started producing an electric automobile. By 1899 the Electric Vehicle division had spun off as the independent Columbia Automobile Company but it was acquired by the Electric Vehicle Company which had hoped to place electric powered cabs in every major US city. In 1910 the United States Motor Company was organized as a selling company to represent various manufacturers who were having trouble getting financial backing. These included : Maxwell, Stoddard-Dayton, Courier Car Company, Columbia Automobile Company, Brush Motor Car Company and Alden Sampson Trucks. In 1912 Columbia cars are still being turned out. A Knight motor was a type of engine that used sleeve valves instead of poppet valves in a internal combustion engine.
On May 31, 1912 the advertisement for the 1912 Columbia touring car appeared in THE WASHINGTON HERALD.
The 1912 Columbia touring car with Knight motor