Postmarked June 8, 1912
Lewis and Clark camped at the mouth of the Vermillion River in 1804. The town of Vermillion was founded in 1859 and incorporated in 1873. In 1862 the territorial legislature located the State University in Vermillion. The original town of Vermillion was entirely located below the bluffs on the banks of the Missouri River and three-quarters of the town was washed away in the great flood of 1881. It is the county seat of Clay County, South Dakota.
This postcard shows a parade taking place as part of the ceremonies celebrating the laying the cornerstone of Clay County courthouse.