Postmarked July 17, 1912
Chesterton was originally called Coffee Creek before the post office arrived in 1833 and changed the town name to Calumet. The town began to grow when the Lake Shore and Michigan Railroad came through in 1852. The town’s name was not changed to Chesterton until after the Civil War after there was confusion with another town named Calumet in Illinois. The railroad helped industry grow and soon there was a cooperage, sawmills, a washing machine factory, and an organ company. As a fast growing Mid-western town it supported a hotel, a fraternal lodge, a newspaper building, commercial blocks and a city hall.