Postmarked July 25, 1912
In the 1850’s Whiting, Indiana was little more than swamp land near Lake Michigan. The Michigan Southern Railroad came through and settlers followed to build and maintain the railroad tracks. It was called Pop Whiting’s Siding after a railroad engineer and was shortened to Whiting in 1871 when a post office opened. In 1889 Standard Oil needed a convenient site to transport their crude oil by rail and water and Whiting was chosen for the location of an oil refinery. Periodically there have been fires at the facility.