Postmarked July 31, 1912
The town of Mamaroneck, New York was purchased from Native American Chief Wappaquewam by an Englishman named John Richbell in 1661. Mamaroneck is divided into 3 parts: the Village of Larchmont, the Village of Mamaroneck, and the town of Rye. In the 1890’s the parts of Mamaroneck situated closest to the water thrived and became well known as a summer resor
In 1901 a Mamaroneck woman noticed a large rock at the entrance of a local park. The rock had George Washington’s face. It was theorized that years earlier the roadway needed widening, blasting occurred and the face emerged in the aftermath. It immediately became a point of pride and wonder, adopted by the community. When the New York Times ran a story on what was being called Washington Rock, its fame was spread far and wide.