100 Years Ago Today

A History Of Events And Happenings From Exactly One Hundred Years Ago

Archive for the month “July, 2012”

Women Buy Hat Shop In Iowa

Florence Beal and Maude Folk are friends from from La Porte City, Iowa. In June 1912 Miss Beal signed an agreement to take possession of a millinery stock and fixtures of Miss K. Whittie’s hat shop in Walnut, Iowa. She had a millinery shop in Correctionville, Iowa before coming to Walnut. The total sale price was $450.

On July 29, 1912 Florence Beal and Maude Folk took possession of Miss Whittie’s millinery shop and it’s stock.

“Having purchased the millinery business from Miss Kate Whittie, we invite all her old customers and many new ones to call and see us.

We have been in Chicago and Des Moines studying styles and bought a fine new stock of Fall goods which will be on display in a few days.

We are now located in Miss Whittie’s old stand where we bid you all a welcome.”

MILLINERY SHOP OF FLORENCE BEAL BY KAREN HANSEN on Ancestry.com :http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~iawgs/acr_2011_jul_millinery_shop.htm

Florence Beal (left) and Maude Folk (right)

Florence Beal and Maude Folk in front of their new millinery shop

New hat shop owners Florence Beal and Maude Folk of Walnut, Iowa

Advertisements

Postmarked July 29, 1912

Mr. C C Lilly
Tennoji, Osaka

458 Karuizawa July 29, 1912

Dear Mr. Lilly,

We were glad to get your card. Sorry you cannot be in Karuizawa but we hear you are going home to study for the ministry. Abundant success to you and the hope that we may see you again in Japan.

With best wishes for a safe voyage in which Mrs Sieple joins me.

I am, cordially yours,

Wm G Sieple

Mt. Asama erupting
(Volcana Asama – Shinshu)

Pier Collapse Kills 21 In Germany

Binz is the largest seaside resort on the northern German island of Rügen in the Baltic Sea. People have lived there since the 1300’s but in 1875 bathing in the ocean became popular.Roads were built connecting the village to the beach and by 1895 it was a thriving bathing resort with large hotels, spa houses and daily excursions from the mainland. In 1902 a 600-metre-long pier was built.

On July 28, 1912 a large crowd gathered on the pier waiting for the arrival of the cruise ship KRONPRINZ WILHELM while listening to a local band. The overloaded landing collapsed and threw over 100 people into the sea. 21 bodies were recovered and it is feared the death toll may climb higher.

Binz, Germany

Steamer Takes Passengers On The Columbia River

The Columbia River is the largest river in the Pacific Northwest region of North America. Many different Native American peoples have inhabited the lands around the river, gathering in village-sized communities and moving when necessary. Fishing for salmon became an integral part of Native American culture.

Early European explorers looking for the legendary Northwest Passage that would transverse the North American continent, discovered the mouth of the Columbia but did not explore the river itself. Initially discovered in 1775, it wouldn’t be until 1792 when American Robert Gray sailed up the river for the first time. Gray’s fur trading mission was outfitted with a vessel named Columbia Rediviva and he named the river after the ship. Gray traveled 13 miles up the river. In 1825 the Hudson’s Bay Company established Fort Vancouver on the bank of the Columbia. The use of steamboats along the river began with the British steamer BEAVER in 1836 and followed by American vessels in 1850. This contributed to the rapid settlement and economic development of the region. In 1878 the US government decided to build a set of locks to improve navigation on the Columbia. The Cascade Locks were completed in 1896.

The BAILEY GATZERT was a stern wheeled steamer built in Ballard in 1890 and launched in 1891. She operated in Puget Sound, on the Pacific Coast, and on the Columbia River.


Steamer BAILEY GATZERT
Cascade Locks
July 28, 1912

Union Members Get Sunday Dinner In Jail

Since the 1880’s different labor group have tried to organize into unions to fight deplorable conditions such as 12 hour work days and unsafe, unhealthy conditions. In 1911 in Louisiana, the Brotherhood of Timber Workers’ succeeded in closing down lumber mills by striking. Grabow, Louisiana had a sawmill and in July 1912 the BTW planned hold organizing rallies at Grabow and two other sawmills towns. On July 7 after BTW president A L Emerson spoke to a crowd of sawmill workers, a gun battle broke out between company guards and sawmill workers who came armed. 4 men died, 50 were wounded and over 300 shots were fired. Emerson and 64 BTW members were arrested as well as the mill owner and three company guards. A Grand Jury held up charges against the union men and let the owner and guard go.

On July 28, 1912 while the union prisoners were being held in the Lake Charles county jail awaiting trial, women from the nearby town of De Ridder brought them a Sunday supper.

“Union prisoners in Lake Charles jail and the big dinner given them by the ladies of De Ridere, La.”
July 28, 1912

Man Take Dogs On Trip By Rail In Alaska

A man takes his dogs on a trip from Shelton to Nome, Alaska by hand rail cart – all 8 of them!

Alaskan Dogmobile
July 28, 1912

Issued July 28, 1912

Sunday Newspaper Supplement

CLEVELAND PLAINS DEALER
Woman’s Section

Polygamists Flee Mexican Revolution

The Mormon Church has been proselytizing in Mexico since 1875. In 1882 the Edmunds Act outlawing polygamy in the US was passed US Congress making the practice of plural marriage a felony. Over 1,000 polygamists were fined and/or jailed. In the Sierra mountains in Chihuahua in Northern Mexico, Mormon polygamist colonies are set up to avoid US laws to practice multiple marriage and be left in peace.

Junius Romney became president of the Juarez colony in 1908. When the Mexican Revolution occurred in 1911, the Mormons tried to stay neutral and were left alone, promised safety by the rebels. When President Taft ordered all American living in Mexico to leave in March 1912, resentment by rebel forces threatened the safety of the colonies. In July 1912 Junius Romney met with a rebel general and was told that all guarantees of safety were lifted and that the Mormons must deliver up their arms. “If your guns and ammunition is not delivered to us, we will attack you. We will consider you as our enemy and declare war on you.”

On July 27, 1912 Junius Romney directed that the polygamist colonists in Mexico would flee to the US. 4 colonies consisting of over 4,000 men, women and children crossed over into Texas heading for El Paso.

Canoeing Expedition In Canada

Ernest Carl Oberholtzer was born in Davenport, Iowa in 1884. He attended Harvard University and received a BA but after one year of graduate study in landscape architecture he left and made his first trip to the Minnesota-Ontario border lakes in 1906. In 1909 he made his first canoe voyage through primarily uncharted territory of the border lakes of Minnesota and Canada, traveling 3,000 miles that summer. Oberholtzer wrote a number of articles and short stories, some under the penname Ernest Carliowa.

In June 1912 Oberholtzer and Billy Magee, his Ojibwe canoeing partner, made a canoe voyage over 2,000 miles through Manitoba to Hudson Bay and back. They set off from end of the railroad line to explore rugged, unmapped territory. The journey made Oberholtzer a prominent spokesman in the wilderness conservation movement.

On July 27, 1912 he made this entry in his journal as they landed in the small town of Du Brochet, Manitoba:

Du Brochet, with its picketed cemetery and church and numerous clay-covered [colored] houses the south side of a sand ridge, looked a considerable village. On closer inspection, however, most of the buildings especially the Hudson Bay Company store which had a pair of caribou antlers on the gable, proved pretty dilapidated.

Supplies purchased at Du Brochet, Manitoba
4 pencils
4 lbs. beans, $1
10 lbs pork, $4
15 lbs hard tack, $3.75
5 lbs sugar, $1.25

We found an Indian encampment- the best one I have ever seen.

Excerpts from Oberholtzer’s journal, reprinted and recently published in :
Bound for the Barrens: Journal of the Ernest Oberholtzer & Bill Magee 2,000-mile Canoe Voyage to Hudson Bay in 1912 – Edited by Jean Sanford Replinger with Nancy Paddock

courtesy of The Ultimate Canoeing Guide.com :http://www.canoeing.com/nature/feature/oberholtzer.htm

Chipewya Indian camp, northern arm of Reindeer Lake
Manitoba, Canada
July 27, 1912

Issued July 27, 1912

In the late 1700’s Swedish chemist Torbern Bergman and English scientist Joseph Priestley invented equipment for saturating water with carbon dioxide. This was commonly called soda water, although it contained no soda. Benjamin Silliman, a Yale chemistry professor introduced soda water to America in 1806 when he began selling mineral waters in New Haven, Connecticut. Sales were brisk. In 1832 John Matthews of NYC and John Lippincott of Philadelphia began manufacturing soda fountains. By 1891 the four largest soda fountain manufacturers formed the American Soda Fountain Company. These fountains were dependent on ice and a way was sought to have a soda fountain without ice. In 1888 Jacob Baur of Terre Haute, Indiana founded the Liquid Carbonics Manufacturing Company in Chicago becoming the Midwest’s first manufacturer of liquefied carbon dioxide. In 1908 William H Wallace obtained a patent for an iceless soda fountain. The newer manufacturers competed with the American Soda Fountain Company and took a large share of the market.

Soda fountains are found in pharmacies, ice cream parlors, candy stores, dime stores, department stores, and train stations. They serve an important function as a public space where neighbors can socialize and exchange community news. The server behind the counter is called a “soda jerk”.

Clarence F Underwood was born in Jamestown, New York in 1871. He studied at the Art Students League and the Academy of Julian in Paris in 1896. Underwood was a member of the Society of Illustrators in New York City in 1910 and was on staff of the New York Press. He currently illustrates for SATURDAY EVENING POST, LADIES’ WORLD and other magazines as well as many literary works.

SATURDAY EVENING POST
July 27, 1912
“Soda Fountain Sweeties”
by Clarence F Underwood

COLLIER’S
July 27, 1912
Come On! HOME!!

THE CAVALIER
July 27, 1912

Ex-president Theodore Roosevelt has decided to run against incumbent president William Howard Taft in the up-coming elections in November 1912. Roosevelt’s move has ripped apart the Republican party, pitting progressives against conservatives. Some see his actions as a vain egotistical move with little chance of success.

HARPER’S WEEKLY
July 27, 1912
“The Littlest Show On Earth”

 

 

 

Post Navigation