Naval Petroleum Reserve Established
The Elk Hills Oil Field is a large oil field in the Elk Hills of the San Joaquin Valley, California. It was discovered in 1911 and has been projected as a huge deposit – the fifth-largest oil field in California, and the seventh-most productive field in the US.
On September 2, 1912 president Taft signed an Executive Order that designates the government owned oil fields at Elk Hills as Naval Petroleum Reserve No. 1 to be used by the US Navy in times of war.