Have a Happy Holiday! We’ll start posting after January 1st.
SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN Supplement
December 14, 1912
On December 14, 1912 Gibson drew the cover art for COLLIER’S FOR CHRISTMAS.
In 1882 Captain George A Crawford passed through an area of Colorado that had just been opened to settlement by immigrants. The post office was established in 1883 and given the name Crawford. The school house was built in 1906.
Charles Clyde Squires was born in August 1882 in Salt Lake City, Utah. His uncle was a landscape painter and at age 13 he was apprenticed to an engraving company. His art was published in the DESERET NEWS in 1898 and in 1900 he went to New York City to study at the New York School of Art. In October 1905 he studied with Howard Pyle. Pyle sent him to the offices of Life with a letter of introduction and suggestion that they publish his drawings. In 1906 his work began to be published in popular nationwide magazines, such as Life and Everybody’s Magazine, after which he appeared in Judge, Success, Woman’s Home Companion, and St. Nicholas Magazine.
PUCK magazine was founded by Joseph Ferdinand Keppler in St. Louis in March 1871 as a German/English publication. The first English language edition was published in New York City in March 1877.
The Italian-Turkish War ended in October 1912. What started as a conflict of territory in Northern Africa became a wider conflict that highlighted the weakness of the Ottoman Empire and encouraged nations in the Balkans to start the Balkan War.
A War Council convened in Germany in anticipation of an all-out European war brought on by the conflict in the Balkans.
Submarines were conceive in the mid-19th century and primitive models saw battle during the US Civil War. By the turn of the century navies around the world were developing or buying self-powered steam and combustible submarines for their naval fleets. The Holland submersibles built by Irish designer John Philip Holland in 1900 were put into service by the navies of Great Britain, Japan, Russia, and the United States. Several of each of them were retained in both the Imperial Russian and Japanese Navies during the Russo-Japanese War in 1904-1905.