Bridge Opens in Arkansas
The era of big bridges came to Northwest Arkansas in the early 1880s with the coming of the railroad, which brought new opportunities for commerce. A growing economy led to a growing population. Both meant progress and progress meant bridges. The railroad helped out there as well, transporting construction materials. It would have been almost impossible to bring huge, heavy steel girders by oxcart over long distances through rugged hills.
On January 4, 1915 the War Eagle Creek bridge opened at Withrow Springs, Madison County, Arkansas.