Parkersburg, West Virginia was originally settled as Newport in the late 18th century following the American Revolutionary War. A town section was laid out on land granted to Alexander Parker for his Revolutionary War service. The town was renamed Parkersburg in 1810. The town was the terminus of the Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike and the Northwestern Turnpike. In 1857 the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad built a branch line south to the town from Wheeling, West Virginia. Parkersburg served as a transportation and medical center for Union forces during the American Civil War. It is third largest city in West Virginia.
On January 11, 1915 students of Willard School on Staunton Avenue, Parkesburg, West Virginia gathered for a class photo.