Hospital Burns In Washington
St. Vincent Academy was a ministry run by the Sisters of Providence in Walla Walla, Washington. The sisters started treating the sick and eventually St. Mary’s hospital was established. It opened in January 1880 with seven patients. The hospital continued to grow and a new bigger hospital was built in 1883. It has provided superior medical service for Walla Walla ever since.
On January 27, 1915 faulty electrical wiring in the attic or a faulty flue between the walls started a fire that quickly consumed the wooden frame structure, All of the patients were removed to safety within about 20 minutes and only a fireman was burned on the neck when embers fell inside the collar of his coat.