Issued February 9, 1915
The Philadelphia Evening Public Ledger started as The Public Ledger, a daily newspaper in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania published from March 1836. In 1913, Cyrus Curtis purchased the paper for $2 million and hired his step son-in-law John Charles Martin as editor. Curtis was owner of the magazines, Ladies Home Journal and the Saturday Evening Post. His intention was to establish the Ledger as Philadelphia’s premier newspaper, which he achieved by buying and closing several competing papers. Philadelphia had a peak of 13 papers but this number is dwindling.
The Philadelphia Evening Public Ledger – February 9, 1915
Persons, Places and Scenes Prominent In The News Of The World’s Doings Day By Day
Misses Elizabeth Foard Ellison, Virginia Freeman, Sarah Morris Ellison, and Dorthy Frothingham as they appear from left to right. They kindly consented for the photographer while taking an airing in Rittenhouse Square.