Fire Consumes Apartment Building In New York
The village of Croton-On-Hudson was incorporated in the state of New York in 1898. In 1903, a real estate developer gave 550 acres of land next to the village of Croton to the New York Central Railroad to build a train station. In 1906, the station became a major service facility for the railroad. The station expanded even further in 1913, when it became the stop at which electric trains from New York City switched to steam engines.
Starting as “The Washington Hand Engine Company” in 1892, the Croton-On-Hudson Fire Department were formed from several smaller companies. In 1907 the use of the chemical or “soda-acid” system was adopted and they changed their name to the “Chemical Engine Company No. 1” in 1907.
On February 23, 1915 the”British Block,” a large apartment building caught on fire and the Croton-On-Hudson Fire Department found themselves hampered by a lack of a reliable water source. The entire structure was consumed leaving many people homeless.